Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Read this post!

Christy in Seattle wrote an excellent post on hidden fats in restaurant food, but more frustrating in most parts of the United States nutritional information is not made readily available for many major restaurant chains. We need to demand for the very least, and that is to be able to make ourselves informed consumers. I never even thought about asking a restaurant for that kind of information, because my friends you might be shocked and perhaps walk out in disbelief about all the fat unnecessarily cooked in the menu foods.

I don't ever want to be fat again, and if this is to be the case it gives me great comfort to make myself increasingly aware of nutrition and foods to avoid whether that be restaurant food or the food I buy to prepare. I owe it to my two little girls- to not only set an example, but also help them set good habits that they can hopefully carry into their adult lives.

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you Caitlin, I don't ever want to be this fat again. I've noticed that I read labels much more closely now, and re-think purchasing a lot of ready-made items now. I do a lot more cooking from scratch, just so that I can control what goes in the dishes. I feel so much better about that.

    There are a couple of favorite restaurants here in Houston, that I've asked about nutritional guides, and they've told me that the don't have them. It seems to me that a few years back, nutritional guides were all the rage, and most restaurants did have them. Maybe something changed, but I can't seem to find very many of them any more. Its ashame, because as you say, we do want to know what we are eating! Not too much to ask, I think-

    ReplyDelete
  2. good reminder. i actually ask often. it is sad that they don't even have the info a lot of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reposting ... I'm serious about the letter writing. Even if it doesn't do any good, it will make me feel better!

    ReplyDelete